Chapter 1: The Tank Set Up

"I need a hobby, I've watched everything on Netflix." I thought to myself while scrolling through the main menu and settling on "Alien Deep". As I watch I come to the realization "I want to breed fish", and so it began.

Over the next few weeks I looked at how to breed fish. After doing some research and deciding how I am going to try, I figured it was time to buy my fish tank.

I bought a 37 gallon tank, 40lbs of gravel, decorations and all the accessories- I was ready to go!

I get home, manage to get the very big, very heavy tank into my apartment and put it into place. I rinse the gravel and add it to the bottom of the tank. I then stood mid way between the tank and kitchen sink thinking "how is the water going to get from the tap into the tank? I forgot to buy an aquarium vacuum". The solution? Use a half gallon mixing bowl, fill it with water, walk over to the tank, pour in the water, walk back to the kitchen sink and repeat... 74 times!

After an hour the tank was half way full. I was quickly losing motivation (It felt like the scene in Annie when the orphans are trying to run to Daddy Warbucks' house to save Annie and look to see they have only run two blocks) I stopped and added the decorations. Looking at the tank with the decorations re-motivated me to fill the rest of the tank. After another hour the tank was finally full. I then added Water Conditioner and a Bacteria Started then plugged in the water heater, filter, bubbler and lights.

Here is the result:
I also put together a 1 gallon tank to use for specific breeding. For this tank I rinsed then added the gravel to the tank, added the water through the filter, added Water Conditioner and a Bacteria Starter, plugged in the filter and lights, waited 20 minutes then added a live plant and the decoration.

Here is the result:
Over the next few days I'll be watching as the tanks run wild and monitoring the temperatures.

The first step of my journey has taught me 37 gallons is a lot of water to add to a tank half a gallon at a time. I am happy with how it's looking so far and am confident that I am ready to face the next step we are heading for... adding the first three Guppy Fish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 2: The First 6 Fish

Introduction